- Parboiled Rice – 3 cups
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Urad Dhal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoon
- Soak both the rice, dhal and fenugreek seeds separately in water for about 6 to 8 hours. Wash and grind rice and dhal separately to a fine paste. Mix together with salt and make a thick batter. Leave it for atleast 8 hours to ferment.
- Heat tawa. Wipe it with oil. Mix the batter and add little water and make it slightly thinner than the idli batter. Pour one big ladle of batter in the tawa and slightly spread it. It should be thicker than the dosa. Pour a teaspoon of oil around the corners. After it cooked oneside, flip it over and cook other side also.
- This is plain oothappam. You can chop one big onion, two green chillies, a few curry leaves and coriander leaves, one firm tomato into fine pieces. After pouring the batter on tava, sprinkle these on top and cook covered with a lid. Then remove the lid and flip it over and cook without lid.
- You can also sprinkle carrot gratings or any vegetable pieces like cabbage, cucumber etc.
- Serve with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.