Like most chutneys this tomato carrot chutney goes well with idli, vada and dosa and is very easy to make.
- Carrot – 2
- Tomato – 1
- Red Chillies – 4 to 5
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Mustard and curry leaves for seasoning
- Remove the skin from carrot and cut it into medium size pieces.
- Cut tomato also into medium size pieces.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add Bengal gram and Urad dhals and fry till it turns light brown. Add red chillies and fry. Then add ginger cut into pieces along with tomato.
- Fry for few seconds. Finally add carrot pieces and fry for two to three seconds.
- Remove from stove and cool it. Then add fresh coconut and salt to it. Grind all together to a fine paste.
Season it with mustard and curry leaves.