- Chow Chow – 1
- Sambar Onion – 8
- Garlic Flake – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Red Chillies – 3 to 4
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Idli Milagai Podi – 2 teaspoons
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Remove the skin and seed from chow chow and cut it into small pieces.
- Cut tomato into medium size pieces.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon of oil and add red chillies, sambar onion, garlic and chow chow pieces. Stir fry for few minutes. Then add tomato, tamarind and fry for a while. Sprinkle little water and allow to cook for few minutes and remove. Cool it and grind it along with salt to a coarse paste. Before removing add idli milagai podi and run the mixie for two to three rounds.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Season it with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves.
This chutney can be served with idli/dosa/curd rice. It can also be taken mixed with hot steamed rice. A good subsitute for coconut chutney.