- Sambar Onion – 10 to 15
- Red Chilli – 3
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Tamarind – a small pea size (or ½ teaspoon tamarind paste)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- In a kadai put one teaspoon oil and fry the dhals and chilli. Remove it. Add the remaining oil and fry the onions slightly. Add the tamarind, asafetida, salt and fried dhals. Grind to a coarse paste.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Note: You can also use big onion. In that case, cut the onion into medium size pieces and fry in a teaspoon of oil as above.