This Kootu is mostly prepared on festival days, especially for Thiruvathirai and Pongal. This is also called as “Thalagam” or “Pongal Kootu”.
- Sweet Potato – 1
- Green Pumpkin – a small piece
- Broad Beans – 5 or 6
- Potato – 1
- Yam – a small piece
- Green plantain – 1/2
- Green Mochai Kottai – 1 cup
- Thuvar dhal – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoon or as per taste
To fry and grind:
- Bengal Gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli – 4 to 5
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoon
- Rice – 1/2 teaspoon
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Soak tamarind in water and squzee out the juice.
- Cook thuvar dhal in pressure cooker till soft.
- Cut the vegetables into medium bite size pieces. Put the vegetables in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder and eough water to cover the vegetable. Cook on medium flame till soft. Add tamarind water and allow to boil. Then add cooked dhal.
- Meantime, fry the dhal, chilli, coriander seeds, rice in a teaspoon of oil. Add coconut and grind to a paste. Add this to the vegetable and mix well. Season it with half teaspoon of mustard and few curry leaves.