Karamani Kara Kuzhambu is somewhat spicy hot in nature and can be served with rice.
- Cow gram (karamani) – 1 cup
- Tamarind – Lemon size
- Sambar Powder – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Sambar Onion – 10 Nos
- Garlic flakes – 10 Nos
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek (Vendhayam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 2 pinches
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 2 teaspoons or as per taste
- Soak tamarind and salt in one cup of water.
- Chop the onion roughly.
- In a kadai put one teaspoon oil and fry the Karamani till it turns light brown. Put it in a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for three whistles. Cool it and drain the excess water.
- Squeeze out the tamarind and extract the juice. Add more water and again take out the remaining juice. The tamarind juice should be of 3 cups.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add fenugreek, asafetida and curry leaves. Add chopped onion and garlic flake and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add sambar powder and turmeric powder and give a quick stir.
- Add tamarind water along with cooked karamani.
- Stir well. Allow to cook in a medium flame till it starts boiling well.
- Remove and serve with hot steamed rice.