- Pumpkin – 1 small piece
- Garlic flakes – 10
- Sambar Oinion – 10
- Sambar Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Gingelly Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice and make 2 to 3 cups of tamarind juice by adding enough water.
- Wash and remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin and cut it into medium cubes.
- Peel the skin from garlic flakes and sambar onion.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add fenugreek and and asafoetida powder and fry till it become slightly red. Add garlic flakes, small onion, curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Then add pumpkin pieces alongwith sambar powder and turmeric powder. Mix well. Then add tamarind water and salt. Stir well and allow to boil on medium flame till the pumpkin is cooked soft.
- Remove and serve with hot rice.