- Thuvar dal – 1/4 cup
- Lemon – 2 Nos
- Tomato – 1
- Green chillies – 2 Nos
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Garlic flakes – 4 to 5 (Optional)
- Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
- Oil/Ghee = 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeeragam (Cumin) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 2 pinches
- Coriander leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cook thuvar dal along with a pinch of turmeric and enough water till soft.
- Mash the cooked dal and add two to three cups of water and make it slightly thick dal water.
- Chop ginger and tomato. Slit the green chillies into two.
- Cut the lemons and squeeze out the juice.
- In a thick bottomed kadai put the oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add cumin seeds, asafetida powder, chopped ginger, garlic flakes (whole flakes) and slit green chillies. Fry for few seconds. Then add the chopped tomato and fry for few more seconds.
- Add thuvar dal water along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Close with a lid and allow to boil. When it starts boiling, switch off the stove and add the lemon juice.
- Stir well and garnish with coriander leaves.
This rasam is mild and non spicy. Can be served with hot steamed rice or serve it as Soup.