- Cabbage – 1 small size
- Beetroot – 1 small size
- Green Chillies – 3 to 4
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Chop cabbage into small pieces. Peel the skin from the beetroot and cut it into 2” long thin pieces.
- Put the cabbage into boiling water and allow to boil for one or two minutes and remove. Then put the beetroot pieces in the boiling water and again allow to boil for few minutes and remove.
- In a kadai put the oil and add mustard. When it pops up add urad dhal, cumin, asafetida powder and sauté till the urad dhal becomes light brown. Add green chillies slit into two lengthwise, curry leaves and sauté for few seconds. Then add cabbage and beetroot pieces. Stir for one or two minutes. Finally add salt and mix it well.
- This is a quick and no-onion poriyal.