- Kovaikai – 10 Nos
- Oil – 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 4 to 5
- Onion – 1
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash the Kovaikai and slit it into four lengthwise keeping one end intact. Chop one big onion finely.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon of oil and when itis hot add mustard. When it pops up add bengal gram dhal and urad dhal and fry till it become light brown. Add fenugreek seeds, red chillies and cumin and fry for a second. Then add chopped onion and fry for a while. Switch off the stove. When it is cooled, add salt and grind it to a coarse paste. No need to add any water.
- Stuff this paste into the slit kovaikai.
- In a pan pour the remaining oil and arrange the stuffed kovaikai.
- [one_half last=”no”][/one_half][one_half last=”yes”][/one_half]
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for few minutes. Then remove the lid and turn the kovaikai. Sprinkle a handful of water and again cover with the lid and allow to cook till the vegetable is soft, turning it now and then. Once the kovaikai is cooked well, remove the lid and fry for few more seconds.
- Can be served with rice or roti.