- Ponnanganni Keerai – 1 bunch
- Green Gram Dhal – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Coconut Gratings – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Asafotida powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
This Poriyal can be prepared with any available Keerai. However, Ponnanganni Keerai has a crispy texture and perfect for poriyal. It also improves eye sight, complexion and reduces flabbiness. It is good for Piles complaints too.
- Pluck the leaves from the stem and wash it well. Chop finely and keep aside.
- Cook green gram dhal with a pinch of turmeric till it is soft (3/4th cooking) and firm.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add urad dhal, asafotida powder and fry till the dhal turn light brown. Break the red chillies into small pieces and add and fry for a second. Then add the chopped greens and stir well. Close with a lid and cook on low flame for few seconds. (No need to add water). Open the lid and stir it well. Add salt and again cook it for few more seconds or the keerai is dry without any water content. Add cooked dhal and coconut gratings. Mix well and keep it on low flame for few seconds and remove.