- Yam – 1 big piece
- (You can use Suran frozen pieces also)
- Onion – 1 Big
- Tomato – 1 fully riped
- Sambar Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash and remove the skin from yam and cut it into medium size pieces. Put it in a vessel and add enough water and cook it till soft. Or pressure cook for two whistles. Drain the excess water.
- Chop the onion and tomato finely.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add urad dhal and fry till it turns light brown. Add asafotida, chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry well. Then add chopped tomatos and fry till it mashed well. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt and stir. Then add cooked yam pieces and stir gently and cook till it is dry.