- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Big Onion – 1
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Pudina leaves – 2 cups
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 2 to 3 Nos
- Fresh ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic cloves – 2 Nos
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick – 2 small pieces
- Cloves – 2 Nos
- Cardamon – 2 Nos
- Bay Leaf – A small piece
- Fennel seeds (Sombu) – 1 teaspoon
- Wash and soak the rice in water for about 15 minutes.
- Chop the onion.
- Grind Pudina, Coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Put a pressure cooker on the stove and add the oil. When it is hot add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and fennel seeds. Add chopped onion and fry till it become transparent. Add Pudina leaves paste, turmeric powder and salt and stir fry for few minutes.
- Drain the excess water from rice and add to the seasoning. Mix well. Add coconut milk and three cups of water (Total measure of coconut milk and water together should be four cups). Stir once again and close with lid.
- Pressure cook it for three whistles.
- When it is cooled, add lemon juice and mix gently. Garnish with few fresh Mint leaves and lemon wedges.
- Goes well with Carrot Kurma, Potato Peas Kurma or any gravy type side dish
- Note:Instead of ordinary rice, you can use Basmati rice. Also you can use ghee instead of oil or mixture of oil and ghee. If you do not want, you can omit coconut milk and cook only in water.