- Parboiled Rice – 2 cups
- Black Pepper – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 2 teaspoons
- Ghee – 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Cashew Nuts few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
“Samba Sadham” (Pepper and Jeera Rice) is prepared at Chidambaram Temple as an offering to Lord Nataraja along with Brinjal Gosthu
- Clean the rice with water. Then add 5 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- In a small kadai put the black pepper and dry fry till hot to touch and remove. Same kadai put the cumin and fry for few seconds. In a mortar put the fried pepper and cumin and pound it coarsely.
- In a kadai put the ghee and when it is hot add cashew nuts and fry for few seconds. Then add the cooked rice along with pepper, cumin powder and salt. Mix everything well and remove. Serve with Brinjal Gosthu
- Note: If you want mild rice, then reduce the quantity of pepper, cumin powder and add one or two teaspoons of more ghee.