- Besan flour – 2 cups
- Rice flour – ¾ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon OR cooking soda – ¼ teaspoon
- Butter or vanaspathy – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 1
- Green Chillies – 3 to 4
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Cashewnuts – few (optional)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Chop onion, green chillies and ginger.
- Put butter or vanaspathy in a broad vessel. Add baking powder and rub it to get a frothy texture. Add chopped green chillies, ginger, salt and little water and mix well. Then add besan and rice flours along with cashew nut and mix it thoroughly. Finally add chopped onion and mix it once again.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Mix little water to a portion of the flour and make a loose dough. Take a small lump of the dough and drop it in the hot oil. Deep fry in a medium flame till it is golden yellow. Then again mix little water to some more flour mix and make the dough and fry it as above. Repeat the procedure till you finish the flours. (Mixing flour with water by batches will make the pakoda uniform in colour).
- Serve with coconut chutney.