- Thuvar Dhal – 3/4 cup
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1/2 cup
- Urad Dhal – 1/4 cup
- Red Chillies – 3 to 4 Nos
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
On Festival days, some people will not add onion or sombu (aniseed) and some other masalas in the dishes. This Vadai is prepared without onion and hence it is called “Festival Vadai”.
- Soak all the three dhals in water for about 2 hours. Wash and drain the water completely. Put it in a mixie along with red chillies, asafoetida powder and salt. Grind it to a coarse paste.
- Chop ginger and curry leaves finely. Add it to the dhal paste along with cumin (Jeeragam). Mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Ensure to keep the stove in medium flame. Take a lemon size dhal paste and flatten it round. Make a whole in the center and put it in the hot oil and fry till it become light brown.