- Rice – 1 cup
- Thuvar dhal – 1/2 cup
- Red Chillies – 2
- Asafotida Powder – one or two pinches
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Idli Milagai Podi – 1 or 2 teaspoons
- Soak rice and dhal for one to two hours. Wash and drain the excess water. Grind along with red chillies, asafotida, salt to a coarse paste.
- Grease idli plate and put the above paste and steam cook for about ten minutes.
- Remove from the idli plate and cut it into small cubes.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add urad dhal and fry it turns light brown. Then add curry leaves and the cut cubes. Sprinkle idli milagai podi and coconut gratings. Mix just for a second in a low flame and remove from stove.
- Serve as evening snack.