- Idli (left over) – 4 to 5 Nos
- Big onion – 1 No
- Green Chillies – 2 to 3 Nos
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Carrot – 1 No
- Idli Milagai Podi – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Oil (preferrably gingelly oil) – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – a pinch
Idli uppuma is normally prepared with the left over idlies. Left over idlies are scrambled into tiny pieces and seasoned with onion and chillies. I tried the following recipe without scrambling, but cut it into small squares.
- Cut the idlies using a sharp knife into small squares. Keep aside.
- Chop onion, green chillies and fresh ginger finely.
- Remove the skin from carrot and cut it into small pieces.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add bengal gram dhal and urad dhal along with asafotida and fry till the dhals become light brown. Add curry leaves, carrot pieces, chopped onion, green chillies and ginger pieces. Fry on medium flame for two to three minutes. Then add idli pieces along with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Stir gently. Sprinkle idli milagai podi and mix throughly and remove.
- Tips: After removing from stove, you can add few drops of lemon juice. Also you can add cashew nuts.