- Idli batter – 1 big bowl (To make 8 idli)
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Cashew Nuts – few
- Ground Nut – a handful
- Green chillies – 1 to 2
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Garlic Pearls – 2
- Curry Leaves – few
- When we have over fermented or left over idli batter, normally we make Dosa, Oothappam etc. Instead, we can season the batter and make this spicy idli.
- Chop ginger, garlic, green chillies, curry leaves finely.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add the dhals and nuts, asafotida powder and fry till the dhals turn into light brown. Then add chopped ginger, garlic, chillies and curry leaves. Fry for few more seconds. Add this seasoning to the batter. Mix well and make idlies.
- Serve with chutney, sambar or Idli Podi.