- Ridge Gourd (Peerkankai) – 1
- Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Urad Dhal – 2 tablespoons
- Asafotida – Peanut size
- Tamarind – A big Gooseberry size
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and remove only the ridges on the gourd and cut it along with the skin into medium size pieces.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon of oil and fry asafotida, urad dhal, red chillies along with the tamarind. Remove it. Same kadai add one more teaspoon oil and add the peerkankai pieces and fry on a medium flame for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and cool it for 10 minutes.
- First put the fried dhal, chilli, asafotida, tamarind along with salt in a mixie and powder it. Then add the fried peerkankai and run it in a pulse mode just for a second and remove it.
- Season it with mustard and curry leaves.
- Can be taken with idli/dosa or even with chapati. However, it goes well with hot rice and few drops of ghee mixed together.