- Ash Gourd – a medium size piece
- Bengal Gram Dhal – ½ cup
- Coconut gratings – ¼ cup
- Green chillies – 2
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Rice – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Power – a pinch
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Small onion – 2 Nos
- Curry leaves – few
Ashgourd, also known as White Pumpkin is “Pooshanikai” in Tamil. We can make kootu, sambar, mor kuzhambu and halwa from this vegetable.
- Remove skin, seeds and white portion from the ash gourd. Cut it into small cubes.
- Cook the bengal gram dhal till soft.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, jeera and rice to a fine paste.
- Put the ash gourd pieces in a vessel, add turmeric powder and salt and add just enough water to cover the vegetable. Cook on medium flame till the vegetable is soft. Add cooked bengal gram dhal and mix well. Then add the ground coconut paste and stir well. Allow to boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season it with mustard, small onion (chopped finely) and curry leaves.