- Ridge gourd – 2 Nos
- Green gram dhal – ½ cup
- Sambar Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Scrap the skin from the ridge gourd and cut it into small pieces.
- Cook green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft.
- Put the ridge gourd pieces in a vessel and add just enough water to cover the vegetable. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook on medium flame till it is soft. Add cooked dhal and stir well. Allow to cook for two to three minutes.
- Season it mustard, jeera, asafotida and curry leaves.
Tips: You can add little coconut gratings ground with one green chilli for extra flavour. Or add only coconut gratings for garnishing. Also you can add two to three sambar onion chopped to the seasoning.
Ridge gourd is called “Peerkankai” in Tamil and it is available plenty in US as “Chinese Okra”.