- Okra (Lady’s Finger) – 20 to 25
- Tamarind – Lemon size
- Green Chillies – 8
- Red Chillies – 4
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Jaggery or sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Wash, wipe and cut both the tips from okra. Chop it into thin round slices. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice. Add sufficient water and make two cups of tamarind water.
- In a kadai put oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add asafoetida, red chillies (break it into two), green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a second and add chopped okra pieces. Keep the flame into medium and stir fry till it changes its colour and become light brown. Add tamarind water along with turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and allow to boil. Cook till it become thick gravy.
- Goes well with dal rice, curd rice and even with chapatis.