- Rice rawa – 2 cups
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 8 Nos (optional)
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Red Chillies – 4 Nos
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add bengal gram dhal, urad dhal, cashew nuts, jeera, chillies broken into small pieces, asafotida and curry leaves. Fry till the dhals are light brown. Add 4 cups of water. Add salt and the coconut gratings. Bring to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add rice rawa and stir well. Reduce the heat and close with lid. Cook in low flame till all the water is absorbed and the mixture is thick like upma. Switch off the stove. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Grease idli plate. Grease your fingers. Take a small lemon size dough and shape it oblong or round balls. Put it in the greased idli plate. Finish all the dough like this. Steam it in a pressure cooker or in idli cooker for ten minutes.
- Serve with any spicy chutney.