- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Powdered jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Cardamom Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
Paal (Milk) Kozhukattai can be prepared in different methods.
Following is the Thanjavur Style Paal Kozhukattai. This kozhukattai is prepared in the evening and served on banana leaf.
- In a kadai put the rice flour and fry till it is hot to touch.
- Boil two cups of water along with salt and pour over the fried rice flour and mix using a wooden spoon. When it is hot enough to touch, make a dough.
- In a thick bottomed vessel pour 4 cups of water and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, put lemon size dough into Murukku Press (Using Murukku Acchu) and press on to the boiling water (like making murukku in oil). Allow to cook for three to four minutes. Do not stir until it is cooked. Then gently stir. Again take little dough and press on the same boiling water. Allow to cook again. Repeat this process till you finish all the dough. Add milk and allow to cook for five more minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water to the jaggery powder and bring to boil . When it completely melts and starts boiling, take out from stove and strain it. Add this to the kozhukattai. Stir gently. When all mixed well, add cardamom powder and coconut gratings. Mix well and remove. It will thicken when it is cooled.
- Note: The quantity of the jaggery may be increased if you require more sweet. If you do not mind calories, then you can add coconut milk instead of ordinary milk. It will be very tasty.