- Thuvar dhal – 1/4 cup
- Green Gram dhal – 1/4 cup
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind – a big gooseberry size
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chillies – 4 to 5
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice and make a cup of tamarind water.
- Put thuvar dhal, bengal gram dhal and green gram dhal in a pressure cooker and add sufficient water. Pressure cook it till soft.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard seeds. When it pops up add red chillies borken into small pieces, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Then add tamarind water along with salt and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, add the cooked dhal mashed well. Allow to boil for few more seconds.
- Serve with hot rice.