Pudalankai KootuCourse: KootuCuisine: Indian, TamilDifficulty: Easy
A classic dish that is served with rice for lunch and dinner
Pudalankai – 1
Green Gram Dhal – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 small
Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoon
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Rice – 1 teaspoon
Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cut the pudalankai lengthwise and remove the seeds and inner white parts. Chop it into small pieces.
- Cook green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till it is soft.
- Put the pudalankai pieces in a thick bottomed vessel. Pour water just to cover the vegetable. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook on medium flame till the vegetable is soft.
- Meantime, grind coconut gratings, rice and jeera together to a fine paste.
- When the vegetable is soft, add the cooked dhal and the coconut paste and mix well.
- Allow to boil for five to six minutes on a low flame.
- Season it with mustard, onion chopped finely and curry leaves.