- Black Gram Dal (Karuppu Ulundu) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 (Optional)
- Green Chillies – 2
- Red Chillies – 4
- Fresh Ginger – Small piece
- Coconut Gratings – 2 tablespoons
- Curry Leaves – few
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak Black Gram Dal in water for 6 to 8 hours or over night.
- Clean the dal and drain the water.
- Add 2 cups of fresh water along with a pinch of salt.
- Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles. (Ensure to cook soft but not mushy).
- Chop onion, green chillies and ginger finely.
- In a kadai add the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When the mustard starts popping up add asafoetida and red chillies. Add chopped green chillies and ginger. Fry for few seconds. Then add chopped onion and fry till it become translucent. Add curry leaves. Then add the cooked gram along with salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Finally add the coconut gratings and stir well and remove.
Black gram dal is one of the most valued pulses. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. It contains calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese etc. It helps to reduce hypertension. Add some healthy Black Gram dishes in your daily diet.