- White Pumpkin – grated 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 10 Nos
- Saffron – a few strands
- Kesar colour – a pinch
- Edible camphor (Pachhai Karpooram) – a pinch
- Remove the skin and seeds from pumpkin and grate it. The gratings should be 2 cups.
- In a kadai add little ghee and fry the cashew nuts and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add one tablespoon ghee. Take out a handful of pumpkin gratings and squeeze out the water completely and add to the ghee.
- Add all the gratings after squeezing out the water completely. Fry till its water content is absorbed. Add sugar and stir well. Cook till it looks semi solid.
- Add ghee little by little stirring the halwa continuously.
- Add kesar colour, safron and mix well. When it leaves the sides of the vessel, add cardamom, camphor, fried cashew nuts and mix well. Remove from stove.