- Keerai (Any green) – chopped finely one cup
- Thuvar dhal – Half cup
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Sambar powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- 2 teaspoon oil
- Half teaspoon mustard
- half teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- A pinch of asafetida
- Sambar onion – 4 or 5 cut length wise
- Tomato -1 (Chopped finely)
Wash thuvar dhal and add two cups of water along with a pinch of turmeric powder and pressure cook till soft.
Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice adding required water to make two cups of tamarind water.
In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot, add mustard. When it pops up, add fenugreek seeds and asafetida and fry for just a second and add chopped onion and fry for a while. Then add chopped tomato till it mashed well. Add cooked dhal along with salt and stir well. When it starts boiling, add tamarind water along with sambar powder and turmeric powder and stir well. Allow to boil for 3 to 5 seconds. Then add chopped greens and mix well. Cover with lid and let it boil for few more minutes in a medium flame.