- Tomato – 2 Nos
- Tamarind – A big gooseberry size
- Garlic flakes – 4 to 5 Nos (Medium size)
- Turmeric Power – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 2 Nos
- Coriander Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Corinder Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Boil two cups of water and add whole tomato and cook on medium flame for five minutes or till soft. Switch off the flame and cool it. When it is warm enough to handle, mash it and extract the juice. Strain the tomato juice and keep aside.
- Soak Tamarind in a cup of water and extract the juice.
- Grind pepper, jeera, red chillies and coriander seeds coarsely. Crush garlic flakes.
- In a thick bottomed vessel put the tomato puree, tamarind extract, turmeric powder, ground powder, crushed garlic flakes and salt. Bring to boil. When it starts boiling, season it with mustard and curry leaves.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.