- Mother’s Recipe – Poha Instant Mix – 1 packet (160 gm) – 2 cups approx
- Besan (Kadalai Mavu) flour – 2 tablespoons
- Rice flour – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 1
- Green Chillies – 2
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 2 pinches
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying
- Put the Poha Instant Mix in a wide mouthed bowl. Boil 1 cup water and pour over the Poha stirring continuously. Close with a lid and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Chop onion, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves finely.
- To the Poha mix, add the chopped onion, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, red chilli powder, asafotida powder along with besan flour and rice flour. Add salt and knead well and make a thick vada dough. Take a lemon size dough and make a ball. Grease or wet your palms. Keep the ball in one palm and press it with other and make vadai. Finish all the dough like this.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When it hot drop gently 3 to 4 vadai and fry till it become golden brown.
- Serve with desired chutney.