- Aval – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Red Chillies – 3
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Ground nut – 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind – a big gooseberry size
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 8 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak tamarind in half cup water and take out the juice. Add turmeric powder and salt to the juice. Soak poha in the tamarind juice for about half an hour.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot, add the mustard. When it pops up, add the dhals, grount nut, asafotida and fry till it turns light brown. Add chopped onion, chillies and curry leaves. Fry till onions are transparent. Now add the soaked poha and fry for few minutes and remove.
- Wash and soak Poha in plain water.
- Make seasoning as above and add tamarind water, turneric powder and salt to the seasoning and bring to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add the soaked poha and mix well. Cook on low flame till it blends well with the seasoning and become dry.
Tip: In both the above methods, before adding the soaked poha , just microwave it for 2 minutes and add to the seasoning. This way the poha blends well with the seasoning and cook quickly.