This cucumber kootu is ideal for serving with rice.
- Cucumber – 1
- Green Gram Dhal – 1/4 cup
- Sambar powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Sambar Onion – 2 Nos
- Remove the skin from Cucumber and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cook Green gram dhal along with enough water and turmeric powder in open vessel till soft.
- Add cucumber pieces, sambar powder and salt to the dhal and mix well. Cook for two to three more minutes or till the cucumber is soft.
- In a small kadai put a teaspoon of oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up, add curry leaves and chopped onion and fry for a while. Add this seasoning to the kootu and mix well.
Thanks for posting this. I have bookmarked it. I like this dish very much and will try to make it sometime.
Pl try and let me know your feedback.
Cucumber tastes good with the right mix of seasoning.
First of all thanks for all your postings it is very helpful to for our younger generation like me to try different variety with the healthier foods.
Now i am in need of recipe of vengayam ( Onion ) thal can you post it
Hi Ambika Keshav,
Thank you for your kind feedback. Do you require “Spring Onion” Recipes.
This is Swetha
I was surfing and came across your website. I really liked it and got to know new recipes.
Please keep me posted for your new recipes
Welcome to our site Swetha. Please subscribe to our site and you will get all our recipes when it is posted, in your e-mail box.
Hi i really have to say that u have done a wonderful job and all the recipes that i have tried almost r very superb and nothing has gone wrong so good job and keep goin. this website is a boon for younger generation
Thank you Viji for your kind comments.
Your recipes are very nice. A small clarification before i try this recipe. You have added the ingredients “green gram dal” and Sambar powder, but the color for the recipe in the image looks yellow. Please let me know is there any other dal we can use.
Green gram dhal is split yellow moong dhal. Cooking the yellow moong dhal with turmeric powder make the dish yellow only. Moreover I have added only 1/2 teaspoon sambar powder. Hence kootu looks yellow. You can use Thuvar dhal also for kootu. In such case cook thuvar dhal in pressure cooker and use.
Hi kamala mam just addicted to your recipes
I have a small doubt do we have to fry onion and add it to that cucumber dhal mix at the last seperately???
Yes. You have to fry separately and add at the last. To be more clear, now I have updated this post with the seasoning details.
I tried this recipe. It turned out really good. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Vijaya for your kind feed back.