- Pudalankai – 1
- Green Gram Dhal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small
- Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoon
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Rice – 1 teaspoon
- Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cut the pudalankai lengthwise and remove the seeds and inner white parts. Chop it into small pieces.
- Cook green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till it is soft.
- Put the pudalankai pieces in a thick bottomed vessel. Pour water just to cover the vegetable. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook on medium flame till the vegetable is soft.
- Meantime, grind coconut gratings, rice and jeera together to a fine paste.
- When the vegetablel is soft, add the cooked dhal and the coconut paste and mix well. Allow to boil for five to six minutes on a low flame.
- Season it with mustard, onion chopped finely and curry leaves.