- Suraikai (Bottle gourd) – a small one
- Coconut milk – Half cup
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Green chilllies – 2 Nos
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil- 2 teaspoon
- Remove the skin, inner white portion and seeds from the bottlegourd. Cut it into small bits.
- Grind coconut, green chillies and jeera to a fine paste.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard seeds. When it pops up add urad dhal and fry till it turns light brown. Add curry leaves and bottlegourd pieces. Add salt and sprinkle a handful of water and close with lid. Cook on low flame. When the vegetable is soft, add the ground coconut paste and stir well. Allow to boil. Then add coconut milk and mix well. Cook for two to three minutes and remove.
Goes well with vatha kuzhambu.