- Thuvar dhal – Half cup
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Sambar powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Mango – 1 (You can use raw or half riped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- For seasoning:
- 2 teaspoon oil
- Half teaspoon mustard
- A pinch of asafetida
- Few curry leaves
- Sambar onion – 4 or 5 cut length wise
- Green chilli – 2 split lengthwise
- Tomato – small size 1 cut into four or five pieces
- Wash thuvar dhal and add two cups of water along with a pinch of turmeric powder and pressure cook till soft.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice.
- Cut the mango into six or eight pieces. Remove the seeds. Put it in a heavy bottomed vessel and add water just to cover the mangoes. Add salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder and cook on medium flame till the mangoes are soft. Add tamarind juice and allow to boil. Now add the cooked thuvar dhal mashed well. In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add the mustard. When it pops up, add cut onions, curry leaves and green chillies and fry for a while. Add asafetida and tomatos and fry nicely. Add this to the sambar. Mix well. Remove from stove. Garnish with coriander leaves.