- Capsicum – 1
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – Gooseberry size
- Garlic flakes – 5 to 6
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 Teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- cumin (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cut the capsicum into small pieces. Chop onion, tomato, garlic, ginger finely.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water and extract the juice.
- In a kadai put the oil. When it is hot add mustard and when it starts pop up add urad dal, Cumin, asafetida, ginger, garlic and curry leaves. Fry till the urad dal turns light brown. Add chopped onion and fry for a while. Then add chopped tomato and fry for few more seconds. Add capsicum pieces and stir well. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and stir fry for few seconds. Then add tamarind juice along with salt and mix well. Add little water, if required, and allow to cook for few minutes.
This curry goes well with chapati and is also used as a stuffing for making bread sandwich.