Keerai (Greens) RiceCourse: MainCuisine: Indian, TamilDifficulty: Easy
This flavored rice can be served for lunch or dinner along with papad and or vegetable chips.
Rice – 1 cup
Any greens (keerai) – 1 big bunch
Onion – 1 No
Tomato – 1 No
Garlic flakes – 4 Nos
Green Chillies – 2 Nos
Sambar Powder – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – ½ teaspoon
Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
Peanut – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Cashew nuts – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Cook the rice until it’s soft.
- Wash the greens (keerai) and chop it finely.
- Chop the onion. Slit the green chillies into two. Chop the tomatoes finely. Crush or chop finely the garlic.
- In a wok (kadai) add the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When pops up add urad dhal, peanut, cashew nut and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add chopped onion, green chillies, garlic and fry well.
- Then add tomato pieces and fry for few seconds.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add chopped greens and stir well. Reduce the heat and stir now and then. No need to add water.
- The greens (Keerai) will get cooked in its own water content. Stir fry till all the water content in the Keerai is absorbed. Add the cooked rice and mix well.