- Payatham Paruppu (Green Gram dhal) – 1 cup
- Red or green Chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak payatham paruppu for about 1 hour and cook in open vessel till it is soft but not mushy. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add chillies cut into pieces along with asafotida powder and curry leaves. Fry for a while. Add cooked dhal. Mix well. Add salt and coconut gratings. Mix once again and remove.
- Note: You can cook it without soaking also. If you soak it, it will get cooked fast. If you want to prepare a quick “Neivedhyam”, you can go for this sundal.