I received a Gift Hamper of “Mother’s Recipe” instant products from Mother’s Recipe Team for participating in the ‘Mother’s Recipe: Innovative Recipe Challenge’. I picked up the “Poha Instant Mix” and made the “Poha Rolls” with instant Jamun mix. Here is the recipe:
- Mother’s Recipe – Poha Instant Mix – 1 packet (160 gm) – 2 cups approx
- Instant Jamun Mix – 2 cups (heaped)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying
- Put the Poha Instant Mix in a wide mouthed bowl. Boil 1 cup water and pour over the Poha stirring continuously. Close with a lid and keep it aside.
- Put the jamun instant mix in a plate. Add red chilli powder, asafoetida powder and salt. Sprinkle water little by little and make a soft dough. Make a lemon sized balls and keep it aside. This is the outer cover for the Rolls.
- Open the poha mix and knead it well. Take a small lemon size dough (smaller than the jamun mix balls) and make oblong size ball. This is the stuffing for the Rolls.
- Now, grease your fingers, take a jamun mix ball and make cup using your fingers (like making for Modak/Kozhukattai). Put one ball of poha stuffing inside the cup and bring all the edges of the jamun mix cup and close it. Keep it on a rolling board and gently roll it with your fingers and make oblong rolls. Finish all the Balls like this.
- Heat oil in a Kadai and when it is hot, drop three to four rolls and fry on medium heat till it become golden brown.
- Serve with Tomato Ketchup/Sauce or with Mint/Coriander Chutney.
- I served it on “Karpooravalli Leaves” also known as “Omavalli Leaves”. You can also serve it with fresh cut vegetables.