- Semiya (Vermicelli) – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Cashew Nuts – few
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kesar colour powder – a pinch
- Chopped nuts for garnishing (optional)
- In a kadai put the semiya and dry fry till it changes its colour slightly and hot to touch. Remove and cool it. Then put it in a mixie and grind it to a fine powder. Normally for 1 cup semiya, you will get 1/2 cup powder.
- In a thick bottomed kadai put the milk , add sugar and the semiya powder. Stir well. Then keep it on the stove and stir continuously till it become thick. Add a pinch of kesar colour and mix it well. Add the ghee and mix thoroughly till it leaves the sides of the kadai.
- Fry cashewnuts in a teaspoon of ghee and add it to the halwa along with cardamom powder. Remove and transfer to another greased bowl. Garnish with chopped nuts.