- Chow Chow – 1 No
- Green Gram Dhal – ½ cup
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Jeera – ½ teaspoon
- Green chilli – 1
- Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Cook green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft.
- Remove the skin from chow chow and cut into small pieces. Put it in a vessel and add just enough water to cover the vegetable. Add sambar powder, turmeric and salt and cook till the vegetables are soft. Add the cooked dhal. Allow to boil.
- Grind coconut, green chilli and jeera to a fine paste. Add this to the vegetable and mix well. If the kuzhambu is too thick, add little water and make semi liquid. Season it with mustard and curry leaves.
- Note: You can also add a small onion chopped finely while seasoning.
- You can make the above Kootu using snakegourd (Pudalangai) instead of chow chow. Chow chow is also called as “Chayote”.