- Bengal Gram dhal – 1 cup
- Red or green Chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak bengal gram dhal (Kadalai Paruppu), for 2 to three hours and cook along with salt for one or two whistles in pressure cooker or in open vessel. It should be soft but not mushy. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add chillies cut into pieces along with asafotida powder and curry leaves. Fry for a while. Add cooked gram. Mix well. Add a pinch of salt and coconut gratings. Mix once again and remove.