- Big Onion – 1
- Tomato big size – 1
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeeragam) – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon Stick (Pattai) – a small piece
- Cloves (Elavangam) – 2
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
This curry recipe is demonstrated by Chef Soundararajan in a TV show. With this basic curry, we can prepare number of dishes. For example, if we add cooked dhal, it will become “Dhal Curry”. Add cooked spinach and paneer. It will be “Spicy Palak Paneer”. Add cooked potato pieces and it will be a perfect “Potato Gravy”. Try some dishes of your choice with this basic curry and enjoy.
- Chop onion and tomato finely.
- In a kadai put oil and when it is hot add Jeeragam (cumin seeds), pattai (cinnamon stick), elavangam (cloves) and fry for a second. Add chopped onion and fry for few more seconds. Add ginger and garlic paste and fry till its raw smell disappear. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Then add chopped tomato along with salt. Mix it well and add little water (2 to 3 tablespoon of water) and allow to cook. Once the water is absorbed, then again add little more water and stir well. Repeat this till all the ingredients are blended well.
- You can have it as it is with any Indian Bread or use it in preparing Gravy dishes.
- We can also use this for mixing with left over cooked rice (saadam). Along with Papadum & some thayir pachadi, makes a complete meal!
- A tip from the Chef – For preparing any curry, we have to use Turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder in the ratio of 1:2:4.