One of our readers, Ms Jayalakshmy Ramanathan, shared this recipe from here mother. I have thankfully included the recipe here for our readers.
- Bittergourd (medium size) – 2
- Green Chillies – 4
- Tamarind – Big gooseberry size
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Jaggery powdered – 1 teaspoon
To fry and grind:
- Thuvar Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chillies – 3
- White Til seeds – 1 tableslpoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Clean the bitter gourds, slit it into two and remove the seeds. Cut it into small pieces. Put it in boiling water and allow to boil for one to two minutes and then remove it.
- In a kadai put thuvar dhal and red chillies and dry fry till the dhals turn light brown. Remove them. In the same kadai add the white til and fry it unitl it starts popping up. Remove and let it cool. Then grind all the fried items to a fine powder.
- Soak tamarind and squeeze out the juice. Make a cup of tamarind water.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it starts to pop up, add urad dhal and asafoetida and fry till the dhal turns light brown.
- Add green chillies slit into two along with the blanced bitter gourd pieces. Fry for few minutes.
- Now add tamarind water along with turmeric, salt and jaggery. Stir well and allow to cook for a few more minutes. Finally add the til powder and mix it well. Cook for a few more seconds and remove from the oven.