- Tomato – 1
- Onion – 1
- Sambar Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 2 pinches
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoons
Green chillies – 2
Pottu kadalai ( chutney dal) – 1 teaspoon
Fennel (sombu) – 1/4 teaspoon
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Cinnamon stick – a small piece
Clove – 1
- Chop onion and tomato finely.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, pottukadalai and fennel together to a fine paste.
- In a Kadhai put oil. When it is hot add cinnamon stick and clove.
- Add onion and fry till it become shiny.
- Add tomato and fry till it mashes well.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Add ground coconut paste and mix it once again.
- Add required water and make it semi solid.
- Close with a lid and allow to boil.
- Remove from stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
Goes well with Idiyappam, Idli, Dosa and even with poori/ chapati.