- Yam – one big piece
- Tamarind juice – 1 tablespoon
- Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Sambar onion – 2 chopped finely
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Wash and remove the skin from yam. Cut it into small pieces. Add little water and pressure cook for two whistles. When it is cool, open the cooker, drain the excess water and using a thick spoon mash it nicely. To the mashed yam, add tamrind juice, sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and little water and cook it on medium flame. Grind the coconut gratings coarsely and add to the masiyal.
- Season it with mustard, chopped onion and curry leaves.