“Pidi Karunai” is a Tuber belongs to Yam Family. “Pidi” in Tamil means “size of our Fist”. This tuber is of our fist size and hence it is called “Pidi Karunai.”
It has medicinal values and very good for piles problem.
However, if it is not cooked properly, it gives an itchy feeling in the throat. To remove the itchy property, add little tamarind or lemon juice while cooking the tuber.
- Pidi Karunai (Small yam) – 4 to 5
- Sambar Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – small pinch
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Wash the yam and put it in a pressure cooker. Add 2 to 3 cups of water along with little tamarind. Cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once it is cooled down, remove the skin and chop it into thick round slices.
- Place it in a plate. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, asafetida and salt. Sprinkle little water and mix it well. Ensure all the slices are coated well with the masala.
- Heat oil in a pan. Arrange the Kizhangu slices on the pan. Cook on medium flame. Turn it gently now and then and cook till it turns golden brown.