- Capsicum – 1
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal (Payatham Paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Sambar Podi – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 2 pinches
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 2 pinches
- Chopped onion – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash capsicum and cut it into small pieces.
- Dry fry urad dal till it become light brown.
- Add two cups of water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whisltes.
- Cook moong dal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft.
- In a kadai put the oil. When it is hot add mustard and asafoetida. Once mustard starts pop up add chopped onion and fry for few seconds. Add curry leaves and capsicum pieces. Fry for a while.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Sprinkle little water and cook till the capsicum is soft.
- Mash the cooked dals (both urad dal and moong dal) and add it to the capsicum.
- Mix well and allow to boil for few minutes and remove.
This kootu goes well with rice/chapati. Instead of sambar podi, you can also add Kootu Podi. However, to get more urad dal taste, I have used sambar podi in this kootu.